Wednesday 3 April 2013

Spring Awakening... (not the Musical)




Over the Easter weekend, as anyone living in London will know, Daylight Savings officially kicked in! As an Australian expat who just experienced her first winter in the Northern Hemisphere, this came as a welcome change. For me it meant that I had officially survived the short days, ice cold winds and snow drifts of an English winter. Now I can emerge from my hibernation, gradually reducing my layers of clothing week by week.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Winter  - experiencing snow fall for the first time, drinking mulled wine and cider, Christmas markets, roasted chestnuts, cute winter coats and gloves, ice skating out doors and gorgeous frost covered parks. 




But, after falling over on icy path ways, tube systems down due to bad weather and leaving work in pitch black, I am well and truly ready to welcome in the first signs of spring.

All the natives say that London comes alive in the Spring, and that’s when I’ll truly fall in love with this city. Flowers bloom, trees become leafy fortresses, parks bustle with sun-seekers and everyone seems that little bit happier on the morning tube crush.

I think I’m already well on my way to being in love with London (if not love, then a very deep and potentially life-long friendship), so I can’t wait to see what London pulls out of the bag over Spring and Summer. I plan to see shows at The Globe, play croquet, attend the Royal Ascot Races, have a picnic in Hyde Park and soak up as much Vitamin D as England will allow me. 



Pimm’s and lemonade anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment